Which 39mm AXEO kit do I need?
We currently offer a 39mm AXEO (AXEO39TS) for select Dyna, Sportster, and FXR Models. This product is offered in two different variations, (one variation is a drop-in cartridge that can be used with your OEM fork tubes, and another variation is a drop-in cartridge that requires the separate purchase of aftermarket +2" stanchion tubes). Now for the confusing part, both cartridges are a +2" length, however, only one of these variations requires the separate purchase of +2" stanchion tubes, while the other variation can be used in stock tubes to achieve a +2" length, or maintain your stock ride height. Below, we will break down each variation, the fitments, and the specific requirements for each:
So why are both variations longer than the stock fork internals?
- All of our 39mm products we offer, utilize a Through Shaft Design, which is meant to remove all rod pressure in and out issues while maintaining the piston rod in fluid throughout the stroke. This design provides a smooth and controlled ride, improves stability, cornering, and traction, and minimizes front-end dive. To achieve all of this, the design requires the cartridges to be +2" longer.
What are the two variations offered?
- As previously stated, we offer one variation that can ONLY be used in an aftermarket +2" stanchion (upper) tube, and will not work with OEM tubes. The part number for this kit is 0414-0547. In order to use this AXEO kit on your bike, you would need to purchase aftermarket +2" stanchion (upper) tubes that measure 26.25". Please check out our article listing the stanchion tube requirements for this kit. This kit fits the following years and models of bikes:
- 1988-2020 Sportster Models
- 1991-2005 Dyna Models
- 1988-1994 & 1999-2000 FXR Models
NOTE: Select 1988-1998 & 2016-2020 Sportster models, as well as 1988-1994 FXR models also require the separate purchase of two Harley Davidson Part #45361-90 alignment cups to be used in the lower fork legs. To determine if this applies to your bike, and to confirm fitment, please refer to our Fitment Guide PDF located on the 0414-0547 product page.
- The other 39mm AXEO variation, we offer is meant only to be installed in an OEM fork tube. The part number for these kits are 0414-0591 & 0414-0592 depending on your year and model of bike. These cartridges are designed with a top cap that allows you to mount the fork tube further down in the triple clamp and actually clamp the top of the cartridge to achieve a +2" overall fork tube length, or you can clamp the stanchion tube, and leave the top of the AXEO cartridge sticking out of the top of the triple tree to maintain a stock ride height. Below are the fitments of this product broken down by part number:
- 1988-1992 Sportster
- 1987-1994 FXR
- 1995-2005 Dyna
- 1992-1996 & 1998-2003 Sportster
- 1999 FXR
NOTE: To confirm fitment, please refer to our fitment Guide PDFs located on the 0414-0591 & 0414-0592 product page.
Below are the top cap differences between the part numbers offered:
0414-0547 (Requires +2 Tubes):
0414-0591 & 0414-0592 (For Use with OEM Stanchion Tubes):