To set your preload correctly on the AXEO cartridges requires the preload adjuster to be set at the correct "zero" preload reference setting before making any additional adjustments. This will be the procedure to use if you are unsure what setting your preload was set to, or if you want to adjust preload back to zero.
Below are the steps to set the preload back to the "zero" reference on our AXEO cartridges:
1. With the AXEO cartridges removed from the fork tube, loosen the set screw in the preload adjuster
2. Stand the cartridges upright on a bench, with the top of the cartridge facing down
3. Back the preload adjuster off, until there is a gap between the spring and the preload adjuster
4. Thread the preload adjuster down until it makes uniform contact with the spring
5. Continue to thread the preload adjuster down until the first time the set screw lines up with the "flat" on the threaded shaft (This is your Zero reference)
6. Apply Blue Loctite to the threads on the set screw and tighten snuggly
7. Repeat these steps on the other cartridge
Once this has been completed, please refer to the information below to set your preload.
Our AXEO cartridges come with an install guide that includes a rider weight/preload chart that will provide a recommended preload setting based on rider weight. The key to setting the preload correctly is to ensure the preload setting is set to the rider weight only, and NOT the rider AND passenger weight. Most of the passenger weight is displaced over the rear shocks, therefore, if you set your preload based on rider and passenger weight, the front suspension will ride much firmer than most would prefer.
Below is the preload chart that you should use to set your cartridges properly.